How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for the School Direct Programme at Central Lancaster High School go to the UCAS website:
Prior to applying you will need to complete the Skills Test. You can out more about this by visiting:
What are we looking for?
Applicants who have the right qualities, attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- A passion for their subject
- Excellent subject knowledge
- A positive approach
- Creative and innovative ideas
We strongly recommend that you obtain a minimum of 2-3 days secondary school experience in a mainstream UK secondary school observing a class in your chosen teaching specialism before applying. This experience is essential if you are selected for interview as you will be expected to reflect on it during the process.
The Selection Process
Selection for interview
- With the University of Cumbria we check that the applicant meets the entry requirements, has experience of working with young people and enthusiasm to enter the teaching profession.
- If successful at this stage, applicants are invited for interview.
The interview day will consist of:
- Tour of lead school- this is to give information about the programme and for successful applicants to get a ‘feel’ for the school environment.
- Mini-teach- Successful applicants are expected to plan and deliver a 15 min lesson. Details of this will be sent out to selected applicants in advance of the interview day.
- Interview with panel of staff from programme- this is for successful applicants to demonstrate their commitment to teaching, depth of subject knowledge, experience of working with young people and possesses the qualities and attributes suited to teaching.
- Written activity- this is to demonstrate the successful applicant’s skill in reflective writing. An article will be provided in advance of interview day to allow time to prepare.
- Confirmation of qualifications and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)- the DSB certificate will need presenting alongside proof of ID (a passport/ driver’s licence). GCSE, degree and Skills Test certificate will also need to be presented on the day of the interview.